So I've decided to become a cheesemaker. I got the idea wandering about a cheese shop in LA and when I found classes in San Francisco taught by someone known as "The Milk Maid," that sealed the deal. My new hobby was born.
To prepare for my first class I decided to dedicate the entire day to cheese. This wasn't hard to do as the classes are held at the Ferry Building, which is like a mecca for the creamy delicacy. My first stop was Hog Island Oyster Co. where for the first time I managed to resist their amazing Kumamotos for a shot at their ultra rich grilled cheese...
| Mezzo Secco, cave-aged Gruyere and Fromage Blanc w/house made pickled vegetables |
This is a serious sandwich. It's not all doctored up with clever fillings, just fabulous bread stuffed with a perfect combination of sinfully delicious cheeses. The pickled vegetables are a brilliant side too (and my next hobby - stay tuned!).
| Cheese Left to Right: Capriago (Sebastopol, CA), Herbiette Tomme de Bordeaux (France), Pleasant Ridge Extra Aged Reserve (Wisconsin), California Crottin (Redwood Hill Farms) |
That's right, I kept going. I followed a meal of bread and cheese with a snack of, well, bread and cheese. I did swap the Cava for Pinot Noir though. And it was after a couple hours of shopping, maybe one. My favorite was the Capriago, an Asiago-style cheese made from goat's milk.
After a long afternoon enjoying all the Ferry Building has to offer, it was time for class. Just outside the doors a table of illustrations and smiling faces led me to the CUESA Dacor Outdoor Teaching Kitchen, where Urban Kitchen SF holds the events. Here's a peek at my first adventure with queso...
| Meet Louella Hill, the Milk Maid. She's my cheese hero. In her hands, fresh Queso Blanco. They were slicing and frying this upon arrival! |
| Fried Cheese: the perfect way to start, well, anything. |
| Reacting to perfectly set milk. |
| My fellow classmates cutting the curds. |
| Heating and stirring the curds. This takes 20 minutes so while switching off stirring duty we enjoyed a taco intermission... |
| Freshly grilled tortillas from Mijita (in the Ferry Building) topped with avocado, cilantro, lime and Queso Fresco. |
| Draining the whey. (Save it! There are several uses for whey, Louella made ricotta with it after class.) |
| Salting the curds. |
| After squeezing and working the curds thoroughly, packing the fresh cheese. At the end you can add flavors, this batch has dried peppers. |
| Take Home Kit: Lipase, CaCl, Rennet |
How come there are no pictures of yourself lady?
ReplyDeleteI'm there, just on the other side of the iPhone.
ReplyDelete